Slipped Disc & Sciatica Treatment in Melbourne
Our spines are made up of many moving parts. Our bones form the structure of our spines and are arranged into vertebrae. We have “cushions” that sit in between these bones, called discs. They are made of what’s called connective tissue, which is the building block of our ligaments. In the middle of each disc is a jelly like substance that helps provide flexibility and space for nerves to exit the spine.
Often called “slipped discs”, disc injuries are a result of excessive strain put upon the discs themselves. This can be as a result of lifting heavy loads or lifting them incorrectly, acute trauma such as a fall or car accident or a result of age. Often people report simple routine tasks as the trigger behind an acute episode; something as simple as bending down to tie their shoes or lift the washing, or simply lifting your child for a cuddle.
As chiropractors, we find that disc injuries are the product of cumulative stress in most cases, resulting from micro-trauma to the discs over time.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is pain that travels down the leg. True sciatica is a result of a disc injury. The jelly like substance inside the disc is now pushing onto a nerve and causes a referral/travelling of pain down the leg. The symptoms of sciatica can also be caused by other sources such as muscles or joints. While not true sciatica, chiropractic treatment is exceptionally effective in these cases. For sciatica pain relief, a chiropractor can help.
The Causes of Back Pain
Back pain is very common in our society. Statistics show that back pain is a major health concern in Australia. In fact, 70-90% of Australians will experience back pain at one stage of their life, and 1 in 6 Australians are likely to experience the physical and psychological effects of back pain (1). Seeing the end stage of a building problem is all too common in chiropractic offices. Whether you’re looking for slipped disc or sciatica treatment in Melbourne, don’t put it off any longer.
Disc injuries can go undetected for many years and can be commonly be written off as low-grade back pain. We also find that disc injuries can also be present without pain. In fact, a study in the New England Journal of Medicine took a group of 98 middle aged men and women with NO back pain and imaged their spines using an MRI. 64% of them had disc injuries and didn’t even know about it! (3) (3)
This tells us that disc injuries are more common than we think and can be present without us knowing about it. Or even when it is, we tend to write it off as common back pain and nothing serious. When in doubt, visit a chiropractor for an examination so you can have disc injury treatment as soon as possible if necessary.
1. http://www.aihw.gov.au/back-problems/what-are-back-problems 2017.Web
2. Maureen C. Jensen, Michael N. Brant-Zawadzki, Nancy Obuchowski, Michael T. Modic, Dennis Malkasian, and Jeffrey S. Ross. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Lumbar Spine in People without Back Pain. N Engl J Med 1994; 331:69-73Learn About Our Free Initial Consultation →
Slipped Disc Chiropractic Treatment
Chiropractic care offers real solutions for disc injury treatment as well as treating the cause. Chiropractors are experts in dealing with conditions of the spine and are often referred to as neuro-musculoskeletal experts.
The common misconception that a chiropractor will make the disc bulge or herniation worse by adjusting it is in fact not true! Chiropractic treatment is effective and has lasting results.
Sciatica Treatment in Melbourne
The reason why sciatica pain relief by chiropractors works is it’s focused on fixing the foundational cause of the disc injury, not just merely the symptoms. It is focused on improving the overall alignment of the spine and ensuring that the area under repair can heal with the maximum amount of stability. A spine which is misaligned results in poor function as well as inefficient repair and healing.
Improving the function of nerves ensures that the muscles that are supporting and protecting the area of injury from further damage. That way, your muscles can do what they were designed for, which is helping brunt against the constant stresses we put upon our spines and help us move efficiently. For this reason, chiropractic treatment has been shown to have great results for sciatica treatment in Melbourne in the short as well as the long term.
- A Swiss study took 148 patients aged between 18 – 65 with slipped or herniated discs and found that 90.5% of patients improved over 3 months and 88% of patient conditions had improved after one year after receiving chiropractic treatment (3).
- 14 out of the 16 International Clinical Guidelines for the treatment of lower back pain recommend chiropractic care (4).
- The US Governments’ National Centre for Complementary and Alternative Medicine rated chiropractic treatment effective and relatively safe for the treatment of lower back pain when performed by a trained and licensed practitioner (5).
At our office, we ensure we provide you with the best, up-to-date and research-based treatment. You can rest assured you are in the best hands for slipped disc and sciatica treatment in Melbourne.
3. Leemann, Serafin et al. Outcomes of Acute and Chronic Patients With Magnetic Resonance Imaging–Confirmed Symptomatic Lumbar Disc Herniations Receiving High-Velocity, Low-Amplitude, Spinal Manipulative Therapy: A Prospective Observational Cohort Study With One-Year Follow-Up. Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics , Volume 37 , Issue 3 , 155 – 163
4. Koes BW, van Tulder M, Lin CW, Macedo LG, McAuley J, Maher C. An updated overview of clinical guidelines for the management of non-specific low back pain in primary care. Eur Spine J. 2010 Dec;19(12):2075-94
5. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/pain/spinemanipulation.htm 2016 WebLearn About Our Free Initial Consultation →
Frequently Asked Questions
Often new chiropractic patients have many questions about our methods for slipped disc chiropractic treatment. Below are some answers for you.
My GP told me not to see a Chiropractor for my disc injury, will Chiropractic make it worse?
Unfortunately, there has been a lot of misinformation about chiropractic with regards to safety and effectiveness with treating and managing disc injuries. Not everyone who provides a manipulation to the spine is qualified to do so or is a chiropractor. Chiropractors undergo study for 5 years and extensively study the spine, and specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of spinal injury. You should only see a practitioner who is trained and licensed to diagnose and treat the spine. You are in no better hands with regards to caring and treating for your spine than with a chiropractor for sciatica treatment in Melbourne.
Chiropractic care is not about trying to “crack and pop” everything. It is a gentle, targeted approach for restoring function to underperforming areas and help your body support your spine while it’s healing. At My Health Chiro, we only use the safest and most specific adjustments to attend to areas of dysfunction, such as in the case of disc injury treatment. We also ensure to take care of the resulting compensatory conditions that, in most cases, are the reason why you are feeling pain.
As the research above shows, chiropractic care for disc injury treatment is effective and safe. In fact, an article published in the Journal of American Medical Association suggested patients try chiropractic as a form of conservative treatment for chronic low back pain and disc injuries before considering surgery (1).
Is Slipped Disc Chiropractic Treatment Appropriate When I Have a Disc Injury?
The thought of having a disc injury can be daunting. Unfortunately, there is again a lot of misinformation regarding the safety and appropriateness of treating disc injuries. Chiropractors are specialised in diagnosing and treating the spine, including disc injuries. They are qualified to make the best decisions when it comes to disc injury treatment and adjustment.
Adjustments restore function to nerves that supply muscles, blood vessels and ligaments. This is paramount in ensuring the area of injury repairs properly now as to avoid long term chronic issues often seen with people with “bad backs” or “slipped discs”. So, the best time to get adjusted is actually while the disc is in its healing phase. As the research project in Switzerland showed, chiropractic adjustments are extremely effective in the short and long term (1).
1. Leemann, Serafin et al. Outcomes of Acute and Chronic Patients With Magnetic Resonance Imaging–Confirmed Symptomatic Lumbar Disc Herniations Receiving High-Velocity, Low-Amplitude, Spinal Manipulative Therapy: A Prospective Observational Cohort Study With One-Year Follow-Up. Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics , Volume 37 , Issue 3 , 155 – 163
Is Slipped Disc Chiropractic Treatment Safe?
Chiropractic has been recommended by not only governmental bodies but also Medical Associations with regards to treatment for disc injuries. There have been investigations into the safety of chiropractic adjustments. New Zealand Government’s Inquiry stated that chiropractic care is “remarkably safe” (1). Chiropractic is evidenced as having a very safe history. This is because its methods are non-invasive and do not involve the use of addictive drugs. Studies have shown that compared to anti-inflammatory drugs, chiropractic neck and back disc injury treatment is 250 times safer (2).
Chiropractic has also advanced significantly over the years. More and more research has and is being conducted, looking at the most effective and safest methods for restoring function back to the nerves. We have found that gentle low force techniques directly and indirectly have been effective at restoring nerve function that is responsible for helping stabilise the site of injury while it’s repairing. Don’t be afraid of seeking sciatica pain relief by a chiropractor, as it can be very effective.
- Chiropractic in New Zealand: Report of the Commission of Inquiry. (1979). Hasselberg PD, Government Printer, Wellington, New Zealand
- Dabbs,V., & Lauretti,W.J. (1995). A Risk Assessment of Cervical Manipulation vs NSAIDs for the Treatment of Neck Pain. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 18(8), 530-536
- Koes BW, van Tulder M, Lin CW, Macedo LG, McAuley J, Maher C. An updated overview of clinical guidelines for the management of non-specific low back pain in primary care. Eur Spine J. 2010 Dec;19(12):2075-94
- https://nccih.nih.gov/health/pain/spinemanipulation.htm 2016 Web
How Many Visits Will Slipped Disc Chiropractic Treatment Take?
It is hard to say how many treatment sessions you will need. We cannot make a generalisation. Every one of our clients will have their very own personalised treatment plan. This outline of your journey to wellness will detail specifics such as how many sessions are needed and what methods of chiropractic interventions will be appropriate. We like to communicate clearly with our clients on their health progress and what the next step is to improved functioning.
What if Chiropractic Care for Disc Injury Treatment Doesn’t Help?
At My Health Chiro, we really care about our clients. Your health is our priority, so if your treatment plan isn’t working, we aim to find out why. If it turns out our services aren’t what you need, we will help you find a practitioner to take you to the next stage of your wellness and good health. We never want to waste anyone’s time or money, which is why we’re honest and upfront about what conditions we can alleviate at our clinic.
Where Can I Find A Chiropractor for Sciatica Near Me?
At My Health Chiro, we offer sciatica treatment in Melbourne. Our clinic is located in Maribyrnong, making us a great choice for residents of Maribyrnong, Maidstone, Footscray, Aberfeldie, Essendon and Ascot Vale. We are happy to welcome new patients and we also accept referrals of friends and family. If you need sciatica treatment in Melbourne, call us today on (03) 9317 8913 to book your complimentary initial session.